Monday, October 7, 2013

I Might Not Be Cut Out for This...

Hi Internet,

So, I was talking to a friend last week and came to the realization... I probably picked the worst career for myself. Allow me to explain:

- Occupational hazards such as lice and whooping cough. (True life, they have those across the hall, I've threatened my kids with their lived if they share hats or don't wash their hands with soap.)
- Working 70 hours a week.
- Crying every day about the difficult challenges my 5 and 6 year old students are facing.
-Wanting to take my kids home at the end of the day because I know their lives are rough.


My conversation with my friend went a bit like this:

Me: I'm going to need to get married sooner rather than later, cause I am so not cut out for working full-time and I kinda want to take all my kids home everyday.

Friend: laughs

Me: No. Serious.

Friend: Yeah, but that's what makes you so great at it, because you care.

Blah, blah. That' doesn't change that I can't look at one of my kids without tearing up. And this whole waking up early is totes cramping my style.

But, there are a few perks to my job.

-Getting a billion school pictures of myself as a grown lady... (weird)
-Being surrounded by kids who think knock knock jokes are HILARIOUS.
-Introducing my kids to 90's treasures such as "Reading Rainbow" and Cassette Tapes
-My kids will dance on command.
-I get called Mom daily and then get to reassure their horrified looks that it's ok.
-The girls who tell me they love me every morning when I call attendance.
-Hearing my kids (upon realizing I'm losing my patience with the class) say "Don't make her turn into Viola Swamp!"
 -The things my Russian kids say, like when I ask if any of them have seen anyone get hurt on the playground:

Russian Student (With THICK Russian Accent):  Yes. Thees one time I'm playing soccer and he keek thee Bol, he's keeking, he keek me in the bols!" (Points at his crotch) 
Russian Student's Cousin: Yes. Keek him in the bols! (Points at his crotch) 
Me: Uh, I'm sorry. I bet that hurt.
Russian Student: KEEK ME IN THE BOLS! (Still pointing)
-Trying not to laugh when every class discussion makes me feel like I'm in one of these commercials: 


Seriously, in math we had to talk about quantities  that are more and less. And the class discussion was almost like this verbatim.

I love my kids. Maybe too  much. I do love my job. But it's a lot more emotionally involved than I had imagined.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean when you say that you want to take them home at the end of the day. I have a few who I would bring home with me if I could. I get called mom all the time! Once I was called grandma (the kid lives with his grandma) so funny!

the firths said...

The world is a better place becuase you are a teacher Krystal.

"KEEK ME IN THE BOLS!" -ya gotta love Russians :)

Liam says all the time he wishes you were his teacher. Those kids are so lucky to have you.

We miss our 'Grandma Krystal'

the firths said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon and Tabitha Ellis said...

Aww teaching is the best! But I totally agree with the challenges. Teaching has got to be the hardest, most rewarding job ever! For me, some days I want to duct tape my kids mouths shut (kidding!!!) but at the end of the day, I look back and think of all the cute things my kids did And it is so worth it! You will do amazing things as a teacher :-)

Spraz said...

The getting up early is what gets me. In an ideal world I would wake up with the sun every morning. Although I think being a mom isn't really going to provide me with any more sleep than being a teacher.

Spraz said...

The getting up early is what gets me. In an ideal world I would wake up with the sun every morning. Although I think being a mom isn't really going to provide me with any more sleep than being a teacher.

Chelsea said...

Awe, those kids are so lucky to have you as a teacher. :)