Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I'm Thankful for....

Oops, got behind again....

I was thinking today about what I am grateful for and I realized that I am thankful for Relief Society. My entire life has been blessed by Relief Society. As a little girl I remember when my mom was sick or had a new baby, Relief Society was there, bringing meals, cleaning the house, taking care of my brothers and sister and I.

It wasn't until I moved out of the house and went to college that I realized how much I needed and loved Relief Society. Right before I went to college my family learned that my mom had cancer. I was torn. Should I stay home to take care of my family or should I go to college like I knew I should. After much thought and prayer, I decided the best way I could help my family was by going to school. I left my family and Mother in the hands of Relief Society.

Likewise, I put myself in the hands of Relief Society. I knew no one at school, but I knew that I would have friends at Relief Society. I remember Bridgette, the Relief Society President and our Relief Society Adviser, Sister Wilkes. They were always checking up on me, how was I doing, how was my mom. Their concern got me through one of the toughest experiences of my life. While on the outside my life seemed to be falling apart I had the strength, support and prayers of solid women.

I'll never forget coming home for Christmas after my first semester at school, I had flight delays and had been stuck in the airport for almost two days, I hadn't had anything to eat for almost 24 hours. When my dad pulled into the garage I asked him if there was anything to eat because I was STARVING! I looked over at my Dad who had tears welling in his eyes. I thought Great! Dad hasn't had time to go to the store and I've upset him because I've been a jerk. My dad led me into the kitchen, I noticed the house was spotless and beautifully decorated for Christmas. My dad opened the fridge, by then we were both crying, the refrigerator was full of food! There were two hams, no family needs TWO hams! My dad tearfully explained how the sisters in Relief Society had taken care of our family. He told me stories of sisters coming to bring meals, a sister who would come and clean the toilet because she knew it had to be awful for my mom with her nausea, sisters watching my little brother while my mother was at her chemo treatments, of a sister coming to decorate for the Holidays because I was coming home. I have never felt so loved. These sisters truly caught the vision of Relief Society. They understood the Love of the Savior as the selflessly served.

Looking back I am grateful to be a part of the world's largest organization for women. I have learned to love, and serve and have Faith in Jesus Christ, because of Relief Society, I would not be the woman I am today without this inspired organization.


This is a picture of some girls in my Relief Society at a Service Project we did this summer.

No comments: