Thursday, January 31, 2013

Napaskiak or BUST!

Hi Internet!

I know, you read the title and thought, Napaski-WHAT?! Well, a while back I was selected to participate in a 1 week exchange in rural Alaska. SO, Sunday morning I'm heading to Napaskiak, Alaska! Napaskiak is a small (400 people) Yupik village on the Western coast of Alaska.

So, first things first.

How do you say Napaskiak?

nuh-PASS-key-ack

WHERE is Napaskiak?!


So, to get there... I take a plane from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Then fly from Anchorage to Bethel (the "big" city).  And from Bethel I'll take a tiny bush plane across the Kuskokwim river to Napaskiak! Hopefully someone will be there with a snow machine to meet us with our gear when we get off the plane. (There's no airport. :) )  Then we'll go to the school where we'll be staying for the week, sleeping in the library. Jealous?

But I get to work with a kindergarten class with 10 kids, so I'm excited to see a new school and culture!

So, fingers crossed that I don't get weathered in, that I have a great adventure and I have internet access to share it with you!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

ashlee said...

I'm SOOOOO Jealous! You need to take pictures and document the whole experience. Dead Serious! How can I sign up for this exchange?