After 3 schools and 11 years I FINALLY made it! Graduation was on Mother's day. It was long, it was hot, the fire alarm went off twice, but I graduated!
I don't often tell people about my educational journey. But I figure since I finished, maybe someone could learn from my experience. I attended BYU-Idaho right after I graduated high school. Life at home was stressful as my mom had just been diagnosed with cancer. I am so grateful for my time in Rexburg. I know I was supposed to be there. I still have some of my best friends who I met during that time. In my 3 years in Rexburg, perhaps the greatest lesson I learned was how to have fun and enjoy life. I may or may not have slept through my bowling class for 4 semesters in a row.... I also didn't really have an advisor, and I didn't have a clear plan of what classes I should take. Then, I met that boy, he broke me heart and I got really depressed. I wore my giving up on life pants, and when combined with my past years of play, I was put on academic suspension. I left Rexburg, and a piece of my heart.
I am grateful that I was able to come home and re-group. It wasn't until later that I really addressed my issues with depression, but it helped put me on a path where I could move forward. I then moved to Utah and decided I would try school again. It was frustrating because most of my credits didn't transfer, and I still didn't have an advisor. I was again overwhelmed and quit going to school. After this setback I convinced myself that I wasn't good at school, I'm a 2 time college drop out and obviously I wasn't cut out for higher education.
I then got my job with Alyeska, which was again a great experience, but I wasn't doing what I loved, what I knew I should be doing. I knew I needed to be a teacher. But that meant facing my fears and inadequacies, I had to go back to school. My job with Alyeska ended and I went to care for my grandmother and I remember so many people encouraging me to go back to school. I kept thinking "Yeah, but I'll never make it. I fail every time I try."
August 2010. I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to go back to school. I went to UAF, registered for classes starting the next week and found out who the Elementary Education Advisor was. I am so thankful for my advisor. She looked at my transcripts and made me a plan. It wasn't going to be easy, it was going to take 3 years, in addition to the 3 years of credits I already had, but I could do it.
I poured my heart and soul into school, because this time I knew this was what I wanted and needed to be doing.
It wasn't easy. At least once a semester I had a full-on meltdown, tears, "I can't do this," the works.
But I did it! (And with a 3.8 GPA might I add.)
My cousin threw me a fabulous graduation party, with a Wizard of Oz theme, which is special for me because when I was little I was obsessed with the movie.
But there was a quote from the movie that she posted on the mantel that really hit me.
The quote made me realize that my family knew I could be successful in school. I didn't have to let my past experiences define me because I had the power and ability to get my degree, I just had to realize it.
I couldn't have done it on my own, but I am thankful for the support of my friends and family for getting me to this point!
Now on to the job hunt.....


2 comments:
You did it!!! Thank goodness you went to BYUI!!! What a great way to start out our journey :) Couldn't have done it without you Kdawg! Very proud of you!
Congratulations Krystal!! That's so awesome. It's perfect that you graduated as a teacher because I still remember you being the best teacher as a relief society president. :) Good luck with the job hunt!
Post a Comment