My most sincere apologies for my blogging absence. I am NOT still trapped in the library. Today that is. University ended on May 11th and I've been enjoying the last days with my Kindies.
We went on the Riverboat, watched a Tae-Kwon-Do demonstration which was cool.... but try explaining to 5 year olds that it's OK for THOSE boys and girls to hit and kick but not them. Haha!
And then we had our Kindergarten Graduation Celebration, because apparently saying Graduation about Kindergarten is a dirty word. I don't get it.
But the kids did some songs and a dance for their parents and then each child went up to the microphone and told the audience of 100+ parents and friends what they want to be when they grow up.
Some of the answers were precious:
When I grow up I want to be a Star! (Haha, all the moms LOVED this one!)
When I grow up I want to be a Hockey Coach.
When I grow up I want to be a Chef.
When I grow up I want to be Dental Floss (She meant to say Dentist, haha!)
When I grow up I want to be a Florist. (Kind of ironic coming from the class Tomboy)
When I grow up I want to be a Nurse. (Said my Albanian student in near perfect English!)
When I grow up I want to be a Cheerleader.
When I grow up I want to be a Police Man (ALL the boys wanted to be Policemen.)
When I grow up I want to be a Cowgirl. (Said the girl who thinks she is a HORSE everyday- Perfect! Haha!)
When I grow up I want to be a Mime.
The mime was a funny story.
The most chatty girl in the class turned to me during rehearsal (trying to think of something original to say because all the girls wanted to be florists after the first girl went and said florist and they all started copying her) and asked "What are those things at the circus that don't talk?" I told her they were called mimes and she was like "Yeah! I'll be a mime!" Haha. Certainly creative, although with how much this little lady likes to talk, probably not realistic. I don't know how much they get paid either. haha
And then it was the last day of Kindergarten.
I cried.
I'm such a baby.
But I've watched those little buggers grow up over the past year. They're READING now! I can't believe how fast the time went.
I was holding strong, partially because I was sick from food poisoning the night before (Yeah, that was LOVELY- NOT!!) until my little Albanian student left. She was getting ready to leave and her mom told her to say goodbye to her teachers and she came and gave me a big hug, and said "Thank you for teaching me English!" I lost it. I was a mess. It has been amazing to watch her progress and learn and become more vocal and interacting with the other students, and they praise her for speaking English, it's pretty adorable.
I made a difference.
I love my job.
But now I have to go to bed cause I have summer school so that in 2 years I can teach my own class of kiddos.
Happy Summer! I'll be in the library all day every day! :)

1 comment:
I love it!! What cute kids!
Post a Comment