Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why NOT to sleep with your laptop on your bed...

Hi Internet!

So, 19 credits this semester is gonna be a BEAST. Have no fear. I've written everything down in my planner (that isn't my favorite Franklin Covey one cause apparently they discontinued it. BOOO!) and I think it's manageable.

BUT. Here's my crisis. So, I'm taking all these credits and some of them require that I have a laptop... Well guess what homegirl did last week? Yep, fell asleep watching Jersey Shore on my laptop and I guess I was like thrashing about in my bed and shoved my laptop onto the floor. The hard drive is fine, but the screen is TOAST. So, I can still access my programs I just have to hook up to a monitor or my TV... Not too convenient. Can you imagine me walking to class with my laptop AND my TV? haha So, yeah, I've basically converted my laptop into a desk top. Lovely.

My Laptop Screen. Post Fall.

SO, I kind of need to replace it. 

But I'm stuck. Mac or PC?
(Dang blogger won't let me upload a pic. Use your imagination.)

I know that Macs are all sorts of fancy and never get viruses and that's what I'll have in my classroom with the school district here.... But they're SO dang expensive. (And did I mention that I'm 19 credits BROKE? haha) But deep down, I kinda want one.

And then there's the PC thing. I'm SO down with how they run. The Mac mouse and funky set up throws me off all the time. Like how do I Right Click?? And What happens when I minimize a screen, where in the CRAP did it go??? And don't get me started on Excel for Mac... I find it easier to use my PC than the school Mac. AND, they're cheaper.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed and encouraged.

Happy Wednesday!

5 comments:

Maggie said...

yikes! I just bought a new laptop and last night it may or may not have spent the night in my bed - so thanks for the cautionary tale.

As far as choosing between a PC and a mac. I've always gone with the PC because a) they're cheaper, b)haven't had any problems with them and c) it's all that I need. Sure there are people out there that take full advantage of all that a mac has to offer but that's not me. All I ask of my computer is to play netflix streaming, basic ms office stuff and store my pictures and music. My PCs have done just fine for me. And word on the street is that macs are more prone to viruses these days as viruses are being designed to target macs - with the iphone craze and all.

Have fun shopping, and I'll make sure to secure my laptop under my bed before I go to sleep from now on.

Melanie said...

PC but that may be the influence of Travis takling. IDK, if your interested, you might contact him about replacing just the screen instead of having to replace the whole machine...he can do that you know.

Kailee Higgins said...

A Mac EASY. Girl you will not regret the extra money. Mine has lasted forever...plus they just built an awesome apple store in Anchorage so when you go down you can make an appt at the genius bar to get a one on one class on how to do everything cool on your mac. Seriously it's hands down my favorite thing I own. Maybe that sounds a bit worldly but I'm on my computer all the time so I like that I love it. Plus if you own an iphone the experience is just even better! If you get one and need any help just send me an email or ichat (another cool thing your mac will do)

The Fantastic Four said...

ABSOLUTELY a Mac. We had to get one (laptop) when Sean started dental school, and its been going strong for about five years now (which is ancient in computer language). NEVER had an issue with viruses, it runs great. Its always a little bit of an adjustment to get used to a Mac, but its much more intuitive than you think. And once you have adjusted, you'll never want to go back. Ours has been dropped (by me), stepped on (by kids), been spilled on (I plead the fifth), and withstood all the abuse a young family can throw at it. DO IT, you'll never regret it!

Alexanders said...

Bummer about the laptop! Did you decide on what computer to buy? I have no advice. All I know is our desktop is getting super duper slow and I am ready for a laptop.