I'm on an alliteration kick right now. Humor me. Well, today has been a pretty great day. I was assigned to speak in Church today. For those of you who may not know, in the LDS church we don't have a paid clergy, our Sunday meetings are taught and led by members of the congregation.
I was asked to speak on the following quote By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:
I was asked to speak on the following quote By President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:
“A wise man once distinguished between ‘the noble art of getting things done’ and ‘a nobler art of leaving things undone.’ True ‘wisdom in life,’ he taught, consists of ‘the elimination of non-essentials.’ What are the nonessential things that clutter your days and steal your time? What are the habits you may have developed that do not serve a useful purpose? What are the unfinished or unstarted things that could add vigor, meaning, and joy to your life?"
Which has really gotten me to thinking. I k now in my life there are many things that I can be doing to be more productive, more efficient, but more importantly, can help me be a better friend, better daughter and ultimately, a better disciple of Jesus Christ.
I think especially in this day and age of technology we have so many distractions that make it harder to heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost. That take away from meaningful opportunities to learn and serve because we're "busy" with the non essential things. This year, I want to be better than I am. I want to set aside the things that are cluttering my day and distracting me from my ultimate goal, to be like my Heaven Father.
All this makes me want to set some specific goals... and Internet, I think I will post them here, so you can help me be accountable. BUT, I'm tired, so you will have to wait. :)
What are your thoughts on the Non-essential?
Happy Sabbath!

No comments:
Post a Comment