Good News! Warm weather has returned to Alaska and I am LOVING it! So, I had a request last week to blog about an experience from my High School days.... It's a gem. So, remember how I tried to be the most holy/righteous girl so that boy would fall in love with me? And they called me the "Seminary Demon"... Well, there was maybe a little incident that also inspired said nickname.
So, may I present to you... Holy Flying Hymnals!
Ok, so hopefully you read chapter 1 of my life story (click link above) so you know that I am already a little bit hated among my church peers for being a know-it-all/goodie-goodie/pious/zealot. ..
So, one day we were in seminary (And early morning scripture study class for members of my church) and watching a movie. I was sitting in the front row trying to learn as much as I could so that I could be exalted... And maybe someone on the back row... who shall remain nameless... made a rude comment about something on the movie. I was infuriated. Why I'm not sure, the comment wasn't about me, but I felt it was disrespectful. Something HAD to be done! (Nevermind that the teacher was in the room and is the boss...) I looked around and the only thing I could see was a green hymnal.

I grabbed the book and thrust it over my shoulder frisbee style toward the young man and nailed him on the shoulder with my weapon. The book hit the floor with a thud. The boy yelled in pain and I continued to watch the movie as though nothing had happened. The movie ended and class was over, everyone left but me. I stayed in my seat and when the class ended I got up, picked up my arsenal and apologized for the teacher. Ha!
I have provided a sample of the scene. But please keep in mind, in real life:

1. I was the ONLY person on the front row.
2. I lived in Alaska, so no palm trees.
3. This took place in 1999... not 1945.
So, there you have it. My infamous Hymnal throwing of 1999!
So, may I present to you... Holy Flying Hymnals!
Ok, so hopefully you read chapter 1 of my life story (click link above) so you know that I am already a little bit hated among my church peers for being a know-it-all/goodie-goodie/pious/zealot. ..
So, one day we were in seminary (And early morning scripture study class for members of my church) and watching a movie. I was sitting in the front row trying to learn as much as I could so that I could be exalted... And maybe someone on the back row... who shall remain nameless... made a rude comment about something on the movie. I was infuriated. Why I'm not sure, the comment wasn't about me, but I felt it was disrespectful. Something HAD to be done! (Nevermind that the teacher was in the room and is the boss...) I looked around and the only thing I could see was a green hymnal.

I grabbed the book and thrust it over my shoulder frisbee style toward the young man and nailed him on the shoulder with my weapon. The book hit the floor with a thud. The boy yelled in pain and I continued to watch the movie as though nothing had happened. The movie ended and class was over, everyone left but me. I stayed in my seat and when the class ended I got up, picked up my arsenal and apologized for the teacher. Ha!
I have provided a sample of the scene. But please keep in mind, in real life:

1. I was the ONLY person on the front row.
2. I lived in Alaska, so no palm trees.
3. This took place in 1999... not 1945.
So, there you have it. My infamous Hymnal throwing of 1999!
4 comments:
Krystal,
I love your blog, and your stories top most.
Thanks for sharing. :)
I would like to apologize for any rudeness that may have been caused by my own, sweet, dear husband who to this day continues to enjoy ruining great movies with a running commentary.
I couldn't quite get it out of him if it was him or another young gentleman who shall remain nameless that the said hymnal was thrown at, but either way, they probably deserved it. :)
I'm with Celeste! I can still hear you telling this story. Oh man oh man. Definitely a good way to start the day!!!
Hahahaha--I totally remember when this happened! I wasn't in your class, but I definitely remember it!
Post a Comment