Monday, April 18, 2011

Love one Another

Internet. I have the WORST. COLD. EVER.

It's bad. My head might implode. But, this weekend, despite the congestion, runny nose, sore throat and coughing, was wonderful.

This weekend was stake conference for my church. A meeting where the people in my area gather to hear our local leaders speak to us. 

I had the opportunity to participate in the choir. 

It was a special choir made up of Relief Society sisters in the Northern half of Alaska!

I sing a bit, and I usually don't get too emotional, but one of the songs we sang has really changed my life.

It was a rendition of Love One Another, a song I have sung since I was a little girl, but it was an added phrase that has added new meaning and direction to my life. I'll admit when I first read the music, I thought it was cheesey, but the more I read the words, the more I was struck by their power and significance. It says:

Now there were in that Upper Chamber,
Jesus and his disciples.
There to eat the Supper of the Passover,
Ere the end should come.
Then Jesus looked in their faces,
And unto them he spake;

As I have loved you,
Love one another.
This new commandment,
Love one another.
By this shall me know
Ye are my disciples,
If ye have love, 
One to another.



I can't even type the lyrics without feeling the Spirit. I think about what that would have been like. Christ knew the end was coming, and his disciples knew that something was wrong. Jesus Christ was their friend, their example. I can only imagine the fear and concern they must have felt.

And I love how it says that Jesus looked in their faces, seeing this concern, and he teaches them a beautiful lesson. Don't be worried, love each other. Love each other like I have loved you. As you love and lift others, that is how they will know that you are a follower of me.

I find it so moving that one of the last things the Savior taught before he took upon himself the pains of my mortality was to teach us to love each other. To support and lift one another. I can think of no better way to celebrate this Easter season than to be a little more kind, a little more loving and to truly follow Jesus Christ, than to do as he said and love one another.

If you would like to hear the beautiful choir sing the song, click here and go to 2:03:41. Or you can watch the whole thing! [The last speaker is my dad. :) ] And I'm in the 2nd row... right in front of the choir director. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Erin Pence said...

Krystal-- the choir sounded absolutely AMAZING! I loved it! I thought it was one of the only times I could hear every word so clearly the whole time you ladies were singing. So beautiful!