Tuesday, January 19, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Internet,

I've been debating with myself for a week over whether I wanted to post this or not, and I've decided that I do. With my change of heart in terms of blogging I have decided that this blog MUST be a positive atmosphere. No one wants to read doom and gloom, no one wants to read rants that are offensive. So, I am choosing NOT to allow that here. :) But what I do want to talk today is something I'm pretty passionate about. My intent in the post today is not to offend, but rather share with you some of my INCREDIBLY personal thoughts on self respect and relationships.

In my calling one of the most difficult things that I see is girls who lower their standards to be in a relationship. I think it's natural that we long to be in a relationship. From the time we are young girls we are told that we will date and marry a wonderful man and get married. I think unfortunately girls are SO interested in the end result they'll sacrifice to get there. I remember one day having a conversation with a roommate Amy...

We were talking about guys, and settling. And developed what we call the Butterfinger Theory.


Unfortunately, all too often these girls will date guys that have potential of a fun-sized Butterfinger. I mean sure, they're cute, they're tasty. But no real long lasting joy or fulfillment there right? But they see the Fun Size Butterfinger and they think, well that's all I deserve, that's all I can see, so it must be the only option. Yeah, I'll have to change what I really want but this is what is here. The sad thing, is that THERE IS MORE. You don't have to settle, you CAN have not just the Full Size candy bar, but you can have the KING sized.

We get so focused on what we want that we forget that Heavenly Father has a plan for us. He's not planning on us getting the bare minimum, he wants us to have the Butterfinger Factory! ;) He wants us to have JOY!

It also breaks my heart when I see my friends trade what they want for what they want right now. Especially when it comes to matters of the heart and physical affection. I'm somewhat of a prude. You may even say I'm the president of the VL club, and yes I am almost 26. If I wanted to get out of the club, I could. I could go to just about any club in this town or find someone and lower my standards and be set. But I know I deserve better. I might be incredibly old fashioned, but I really feel like physical affection isn't just something to do when there's nothing good on TV. (And I'm not 100% Duggar Style either) To me that MEANS something. If I love and care about you, I am going to show you. But when I do, I'm giving you a piece of my heart. A piece of me. And again, maybe I'm a nerd, but I'm A-ok not kissing a whole lot of frogs, cause then, someday, someone can have my whole heart. Not a fraction, not what's left. Because I respect myself, and I respect him, whoever he is. :)

I think Kelly Clarkson said it best: 'Oh, no I do not hook up, up I go slow, So if you want me, I don't come Cheap!"

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I just want to say that you are making the most amazing decision by protecting your heart and not giving it out to anyone who will take it. My hubby was my first boyfriend and although we are married now, it has been hard and there have been many struggles. I let go of everything I believed in because I was afraid he would leave and because of that I got pregnant before marriage. I love my daughter to death and would not change anything because she is amazing, but it has been hard. I have noticed that my friends that have waited until their "king" size came along have amazing marriage and great frienships with their spouses. I have no doubt that I will get their one day with mine, but it would of just been easier to wait!!

annie said...

kelly clarkson also sang these applicable words: "my life would suck without you."

annie said...

oops i forgot to sign my sister out. this is rose. haha!

Courtney said...

I have my king size and am so glad I woke up and didn't settle!!

Brandon and Tabitha Ellis said...

your awesome! i love you! i was just feelin down about boys not recognizing my awesomeness, but this totally made my day cuz i know i deserve the bestest :D