Sorry I've been AWOL. But you missed me didn't you? Well, Grandma is in the hospital, again. This time with an infection, but hopefully with some antibiotics she'll be out in no time.
So, you may or may not know, but I've been seeing a therapist while I'm in Oregon and it's been really helpful for me. And during my session this week we were discussing "Being Real." He even suggested that I blog about something "Real."
Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking:
A. Krystal's nuts, she's seeing a shrink.
B. "Get Real" is she seeing Dr. Phil???

Well, neither A or B is true. :)
But we were talking about how for some people, it's so scary to be loved for who you really are, that it seems easier to be loved for who you aren't. How could anyone love me, I'm (Fill in the blank). So, we compensate for the "Blank" to be something that we're not. Think about it. I'm sure you can think of ways people try to hide their authentic self to be loved. Myself included.
Which led to another discussion, in the time I have been here with Grandma I have learned more about how difficult her life was. She has had health problems her whole life, she was in an abusive relationship and raised four children on her own. And the irony is that the more I know about my Grandma, the less she is this old lady who I think could never do anything wrong, and the more I realize she's REAL. She has had hard things in her life, just like me. The more I learn about my REAL Grandma, the more I love her!!
So, I guess what I'm saying, is that what I'm learning is that there's something endearing and genuine about being authentic. I think I'm going to try that out.
Happy Weekend!
So, you may or may not know, but I've been seeing a therapist while I'm in Oregon and it's been really helpful for me. And during my session this week we were discussing "Being Real." He even suggested that I blog about something "Real."
Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking:
A. Krystal's nuts, she's seeing a shrink.
B. "Get Real" is she seeing Dr. Phil???

Well, neither A or B is true. :)
But we were talking about how for some people, it's so scary to be loved for who you really are, that it seems easier to be loved for who you aren't. How could anyone love me, I'm (Fill in the blank). So, we compensate for the "Blank" to be something that we're not. Think about it. I'm sure you can think of ways people try to hide their authentic self to be loved. Myself included.
Which led to another discussion, in the time I have been here with Grandma I have learned more about how difficult her life was. She has had health problems her whole life, she was in an abusive relationship and raised four children on her own. And the irony is that the more I know about my Grandma, the less she is this old lady who I think could never do anything wrong, and the more I realize she's REAL. She has had hard things in her life, just like me. The more I learn about my REAL Grandma, the more I love her!!
So, I guess what I'm saying, is that what I'm learning is that there's something endearing and genuine about being authentic. I think I'm going to try that out.
Happy Weekend!
1 comment:
Yep. I totally try to hide myself sometimes. I think I have to be perfect and not admit that I make mistakes in order for people to like me. But you know what I realized? Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me for who I am, even if the world thinks I'm crazy :D For so many years, I tried to be the Tabitha that the world wanted, but then I realized I wasn't happy. I realized that the most important opinions are what I think of myself and what God thinks of me. If nobody else likes what I do, as long as God's okay with me, I'm okay with me! Thank you for reminding me that it's ok to be me!
Post a Comment